Monday, February 1, 2010
this old radio was my grandfathers, he always talked about fixing it, we even went on all-day expeditions through old warehouses looking for just that right part, catalog, or schematic, needless to say we never did find it so this beautiful piece of history just sat collecting dust.
the brain is a uncased and modified Omnifi DMS1
the amplifier is an old Sony 2ch "Television audio extender"
the lcd is a second hand 7" headrest monitor
misc switches, lots of stripped cat5 wire, chopped cables
speaker are 10yr old Polk R1's
the amp like all old stereo equipment used sliders for vol, bass, trebble all made that scratchy sound during adjustment, this was actually good news because i needed to switch them over to a remote located turn potentiometer, all 3 in the project are the same, 10K single turn audio taper pot. i extended the IR receivers to the side of the lcd just out of sight behind the glass,i melted both of them and had to find 2 new ones of the right variety. i moved the jog dial and the SMD switch under it onto the proto board so it could be located in the original spot for the Tuner knob. this took several tries to get everything to fit exactly right. i counted about 120+ solder joints including the test pieces and final connects, and i only burned myself once. for the front switch panel after 3 attempts i have finally turned out something i like, got the switches at Tanners, might be overkill for this, but oh well, better than the cheapy green plastic ones.
in the end i am happy with the result, it sounds and looks nice and i learned alot thoughout the project.
Posted by Jimmy Cash Carter at 9:18 PM